Sunday, November 8, 2009

A different kind of neighbourhood

I have never lived in a community quite like the one I am now living in, and its taking a bit of getting used to! Where I live, there are only 2 streets of house - each is 2 blocks long. The houses seem to be inhabited primarily by older people - retiree's, or families. Kids wander freely, happily play in the street, all know each other, dogs run off-leash on the beach and seem to be just as friendly as the humans, and everyone gives a little wave every time we see each other.

Everywhere else I have lived recently has been busy areas in town where you were lucky to even see your neighbours. Everyone kept to themselves and did their own thing.

Because of that, as well as the fact that I felt I needed to be an "independent gal", I've spent the past year proving that I can do everything I need to by myself - and succesfully - I seem to find a way to muddle through everything I face. My brother once asked my why I had to do everything myself and didn't let others help... (He was promptly reminded by his girlfriend that every time I wanted help he was usually busy LOL).

But I have lived in my new tiny community for just over 1 month and have met more neighbours here than I did in 12mths at my previous house. They are all very lovely people that have popped over to say hello and with advice (on little things like watering regime for re-establishing my lawn, to reminding me not to let the girls play under the neighbours coconut tree in case they get hit on the head by the coconuts, and checking in on us when Miss 3 was having a major meltdown one day).

I am absolutely not used to asking for help from anyone, but I do feel now that I am in a place where its probably not only possible to ask and receive, but its also possibly expected!

This leaves me feeling somewhat anxious... I like keeping to myself - I'm an introvert and very private. I'm also capable of doing pretty much everything I need to. BUT, I want to feel a part of this community where everyone knows each other and seems to be willing to help each other out.

So, I think living here is going to force me to open up a little, ask for and accept help, and teach me a LOT about community.

I'm also going to have to work on taking advice as nothing more than advice - its not a judgement of my abilities... I haven't felt that way yet, but I do have a tendency to take things personally when people offer unsolicited advice - but its something I am working on, and now it seems, will have lots of practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment